The A.P. Giannini Foundation invites physician-scientists and junior researchers with six to 36 months of postdoctoral research experience to apply to the 2017 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program. The Fellowship Program supports innovative research in the basic sciences and applied fields, and trains fellows to become established investigators. The research project should advance the translation of biomedical science into treatments, preventions and cures for human diseases.
The 2017 application form and instructions are available at apgianninifoundation.org.
The foundation must receive the candidate’s completed application and letters of reference before 3 p.m. (PDT) on Monday, November 1, 2016. All letters of reference must be sent to email@example.com.
- must have completed no less than six months and no more than three years in their mentor’s laboratory as of November 1, 2016
- must be a U.S. citizen or permanent alien resident
- must hold or complete an MD, MD/PhD, PhD or equivalent degree before activation of training
- must arrange research training before applying to the program. Research training program must be sponsored by an accredited California medical school and performed under the mentorship of a principal investigator (PI) at the sponsoring medical school. Mentor must hold a full-time faculty appointment at the sponsoring medical school as the fellow. Mentor may supervise a maximum of two A.P. Giannini Foundation fellows in any one year.
- Competitive stipend for research training and an annual allowance for career development programs, services and resources
- Stipends can only be used for support. The current stipends are $50,000 in Year 1, $50,000 in Year 2 and $52,000 in Year 3. The foundation will announce the 2017 fellowship stipends by December 15, 2016.
- Candidates may be eligible to obtain additional salary support from their sponsoring institution. Candidates cannot currently hold a full fellowship from another source or a federally funded career development award.
September 1, 2016: Information session
November 1, 2016: Application and letters of reference due
December 2016: Initial application review and evaluation
January 17, 2017: Finalists selected/candidates notified of application status
February 2017: Finalists contacted to be counseled for the interview and presentation process
March 2, 2017: Finalist interviews and final awardee decision