Bridging The Gaps
Bridging the Gaps Summer Research Program is a bench to bedside experience that provides outstanding underrepresented students in science and medicine an opportunity to gain meaningful exposure to the exceptional research and clinical programs at the Keck School of Medicine (KSOM) of USC.
Summer Scholars conduct cutting edge research for 8 weeks in the laboratories of Keck faculty. Students are provided with basic science, translational and clinical research experiences. The summer session culminates with students presenting their research findings to the KSOM community at large.
In order to be eligible, the applicant must be an underrepresented student, as designated by the NIH and completed at least 2 years of undergraduate studies. Selection will be based on the student’s demonstrated academic achievements, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, leadership qualities, required essay and completed application. Please visit: https://keck.usc.edu/SummerResearchProgram for application download and additional information.
- Highly competitive research positions in Metabolic Diseases (Diabetes and Obesity), Oncology, Cardiovascular, Neuroscience, Immunology, Stem Cell Research and much more!
- The program offers a structured curriculum in Physiology and Biostatistics to increase the ability of students to compete successfully for admission to KSOM.
- Students attend seminars that focus on reducing health disparities and enhancing cultural competence in health care.
- Students have the opportunity to shadow at one of our affiliated hospitals, Keck, Los Angeles General Medical Center and Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA).
- Students attend various workshops, including financial aid; understanding the admission process; test taking skills; organizational skills; time management and career choices.
- Students are paired with KSOM students that serve as peer mentors.
- All students receive a stipend and are provided with paid University housing.
For more information, please contact:
Bridging the Gaps Program
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Keck School of Medicine of USC
1975 Zonal Avenue, KAM B-22
Los Angeles, CA 90033