Awards & Recognitions
Among the department’s strengths are the outstanding achievements of our faculty
The Department of Emergency Medicine has been the recipient of many accolades including offering one of the medical school’s most coveted clerkships, winning the award for Educational Excellence in 1997, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2014.
Our faculty hold or have held leadership positions in the American Board of Emergency Medicine, the American College of Emergency Physicians and the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine. Other notable achievements, honors and awards include:
- The Department of Emergency Medicine Emergency Ultrasound Program was one of the first in the nation to offer comprehensive training in bedside emergency ultrasound under the direction of Diku Mandavia, MD in 1993.
- Marked increase in scholarly production (published abstracts and manuscripts), grant applications and external funding.
- Exceeding $1 million in grant funding annually for past three years. Funding agencies include: NIH (AHRQ , NIDDK, NHLBI, NIOSH), National Institute of Justice, the Department of Defense, Naval Medical Research Center, CDC, Gilead Sciences, Massimo Corporation, California HIV/AIDS Research Program, the LA County Office of AIDS Programs and Policy and the SC CTSI.
- Consistent recognition for excellence in research
- Sanjay Arora, Honorable Mention, Outstanding Plenary Presentation, 2015 WRSAEM
- Michael Menchine, Outstanding Faculty Research Project, 2014 WRSAEM
- Sophie Terp, Outstanding Research Project, 2013 WRSAEM
- Jonathan Wagner, Faculty Teaching Award, Year IV, 2015
- Kim Newton, Outstanding Teaching in PPM Award, 2015
- Michael Levine, Faculty Teaching Award, Year II, 2015
- Hosting the 2013 Western Regional SAEM Conference
- Sanjay Arora, Required Scholarly Project Mentor of the Year, Keck School of Medicine
- Creating National Network of Research Toxicologists
- Seth A. Seabury, Testimony before United States Congress on compensation strategies for injured workers, 2013
- Development and Sale of Intellectual Property, TExT-MED
- Cynthia A. Bir, 2013 Emmy Award Winning Producer of Sports Science
- Cynthia A. Bir, Elected Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, top 2 Percent of the Most Accomplished Leaders in the Field of Medical and Biological Engineering