Keck School of Medicine Diversity in Medicine Visiting Clerkship Award
Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center (LAC+USC) serves a diverse patient population that traditionally has not had adequate access to primary or emergent care. Our Emergency Medicine Residency Program strives to recruit an equally diverse group of residents who are dedicated to the care of the underserved and are motivated to work with this population both inside and outside of the hospital.
To help us reach this goal, the Department of Emergency Medicine, Office of the Dean and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at the Keck School of Medicine are excited to introduce the Diversity in Medicine Visiting Clerkship Award, which provides support for fourth-year underrepresented in medicine (URiM) medical students to participate in visiting student clerkships at our institution. The goal of this program is to increase awareness of opportunities in academic medicine for student groups traditionally underrepresented in medicine.
As a recipient of the Diversity in Medicine Visiting Clerkship Award, the Keck School will provide a stipend to assist with housing, transportation and travel for our four-week senior elective in Emergency Medicine. The program will provide a stipend of $2,000 to each recipient to help defray the costs of an away rotation.
All applicants for the award will also be automatically considered for a URiM slot in our Emergency Medicine Student Clerkship.
The program is open to URiM medical students in their fourth year of medical school who are in good standing, applying for residency in Emergency Medicine and meet all of the requirements for rotation applicants.
In addition to applying via the link below, applicants must submit a CV, a letter of good standing from their medical school, a letter of recommendation and a short, one-page personal statement.
The personal statement should describe the applicant’s interest in our Emergency Medicine rotation and what they hope to gain from the rotation. Please note: Applicants must also submit a Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) application for our four-week senior elective in Emergency Medicine. All applications will be reviewed by our Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
The Keck School defines URiM as being from racial/ethnic groups traditionally underrepresented in medicine, including black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
The deadline for application is April 15, 2021.
- Submit URiM application form.
- Submit completed VSAS application for our Emergency Medicine Rotation
- Students who wish to rotate during our August through October period must also complete a LAC+USC Emergency Medicine Clerkship application.
- Upload the following documents along with your application:
- Applicant CV
- One-page personal statement outlining your interest in our Emergency Medicine rotation and what you hope to gain from the rotation
- The following documents can be emailed to 5. Dr. Jessica Osterman (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject, “Diversity Clerkship Award”:
- Letter from a dean of your medical school attesting to your good standing and full-time status
- Letter of recommendation
If you have any questions or you would like additional information on the program, please contact Dr. Jessica Osterman at email@example.com.