About the Department of Neurological Surgery
State-of-the-art techniques, personalized care
In the Department of Neurological Surgery, we meet patients and their families during a distressing time — whether facing Alzheimer’s disease, a tumor, a stroke, a traumatic brain injury or another devastating diagnosis. We aim to combine compassionate care with state-of-the-art techniques to provide the finest neurosurgical services to patients.
Our neurosurgical residents and fellows receive specialized training in the comprehensive management of disorders of the brain and spine while learning to approach each patient as an individual. An ongoing program of evidence-based research ensures that we continually contribute to advances to the field of neurological surgery.
2021 Annual Report
Facts & Figures
The Department of Neurological Surgery is composed of 20 eminent, full-time clinician-scientists who are dedicated to patient care,scholarly activities and education of neurosurgical residents and fellows. Many of our faculty members hold national and international leadership roles. We also feature numerous faculty with dual appointments at USC, and a cohort of exceptional staff researchers.
- Our department, established in 1919, was the first organized neurosurgical service west of the Mississippi and featured the first neurosurgical training program on the West Coast, launched in 1927.
- Our department was instrumental in developing the skull-based neurosurgery subspecialty, starting in the 1980s.
- We were the first neurosurgical department to include full-time radiologists on our faculty to deliver neuro-endovascular care, beginning in 1994, and we have continued to make substantial contributions to radiosurgery.
- Four of our faculty members have been named among “America’s Best Doctors.”
- Two of our faculty members serve as editors of prestigious, international journals of neurosurgery.
- The department’s clinical volume, in excess of 3,000 cases, ranks as one of the five largest programs in the United States.
Today, the Department of Neurological Surgery continues to pursue robust clinical and basic research, teach future experts to the field’s highest standards, and provide clinical expertise and outstanding surgical care, in an academic setting, to a diverse patient population in Los Angeles and beyond.