Resident Benefits and Salary
- Free parking at all sites
- Meal plan (daily allowances at Los Angeles General Medical Center, Keck, Norris Cancer Hospital; as well as meal reimbursements when at CHLA and RLA)
- AAN membership and Continuum subscription
- Stipend to attend AAN and national meetings, with additional funding for presenting research
- Free Keck electronic library resources: Up to date, pubmed, etc
- Free white coat and scrubs with laundering service
- Dedicated neurology resident call rooms with computer, bed, telephone
- Lactation facilities
- Neurology residents are also part of the LA County Resident Union: Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR), which continually strives to improve the condition of resident treatment, benefit, and reimbursement for residents hospital wide.
- $10,000 annual housing stipend
- $1,400 educational fund for books and supplies
- Annual salary increase guarantee
Salaries compare favorably with those of other resident positions in the community. Salaries compare favorably with those of other resident positions in the community.
|PGY Level||Salary 10/1/22||Salary 10/1/23||Salary 10/1/24|
As negotiated through the CIR, Los Angeles General Medical Center resident are entitled to 24 days paid vacation excluding weekend and holidays each year. The department allows residents to take up to four weeks of paid vacation per year.*
Sick, Family and Medical Leave
Sick Leave is accrued to a maximum of eight days per year. Per ACGME guidelines, residents are provided a minimum of six paid weeks of approved medical, parental, or caregiver leave(s) of absence. In compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, residents may take up to 12 weeks leave of absence without pay.*
Keck Medical Center and Los Angeles General Medical Center are situated within walking distance of each otherin downtown LA, the heart of Southern California. Rancho Los Amigos and CHLA are within 20 minutes driving distance of the main sites. As most the year is spent at the main hospital sites, many residents choose to reside in the surrounding areas, with each neighborhood offering its own unique flavor. Some popular areas to live includedowntown, Koreatown, Silver Lake/Echo Park, Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley. Residents often use their off time to explore trendy restaurants and cafes, sporting events, and outdoors adventures. The residency also hosts numerous social events for faculty, fellows and residents to foster a sense of community, including a Welcome reception, Alumni reception, Holiday party, and Graduation ceremony.
USC offers a broad range of fellowships in virtually every sub-specialty, welcoming applications from all neurology programs. There are ample opportunities for our residents to interact with fellowship trainees who also provide mentorship for post-residency career development. The program also hosts an annual Alumni reception which provides an informal opportunity for residents to network with alumni graduates. Please see the fellowship section for further information. Graduates from our program receive comprehensive training to continue practice in any setting: Fellowship training, Private Practice, Managed healthcare, Academic medicine, Telemedicine, and Locum tenens.