Office of Academic Support Services
The Keck Learning and Academic Support Services office provides an array of resources to help all Keck School of Medicine of USC students retain and master their curriculum throughout their four years of medical training. This goal is accomplished through the implementation of support services, catering to the individual needs of students and best practices in helping them understand complex curriculum content. All students are encouraged to meet with the KLASS team to discuss anything related to academic skills and strategies.
One-on-One Academic Counseling includes:
- How to approach the Foundation of Medical Sciences and year 1-2 subject exams
- Strategies on active learning via textbooks and effective note-taking
- Identifying appropriate resources to retain curriculum content
- Formatting notes to third-order recognition
- Best practices in previewing instructors’ notes and using lecture objectives
- Developing study schedules
We have a diverse series of peer-led review sessions that are facilitated by high-performing upperclassmen. The peer review sessions are an ecosystem of programs geared toward group learning in a relaxed and interactive environment. These mentoring programs serve as a way for students to support their peers and to learn collaboratively.
- One-on-one peer academic coaching
- Group anatomy review
- Interactive student lectures reviewing high-yield material
- Step 1 and Step 2 preparation
- Group review sessions for students on clinical rotations
Academic Success Workshops
Every year, academic workshops geared toward the continued excellence and development of medical students are offered. Students receive counsel on ways to become a successful medical student, effective study strategies on learning content, preparation for studying for Step 1 and more. Workshops are interactive and occur throughout the year.
For more information on our office and programs, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The services provided by this office are only available to medical students from the Keck School.
To schedule an appointment with Donovan Roy, please contact Olivia Roussell at 323-422-2560 or Oroussel@usc.edu.