Rotation Schedule Overview
Three-month rotation on Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at LAC+USC Medical Center
Three-month rotation on Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at Keck Hospital of USC
The intern also completes six one-month rotations from the following:
- Burn Unit
- Neurological Surgery
- Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Trauma/Acute Care Surgery
This year is spent at LAC+USC Medical Center and Keck Hospital of USC.
LAC+USC Medical Center:
- 3 months on the Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Service with a PGY5 and PGY2
- 2 months on the Pediatric Otolaryngology Service
Keck Medical Center
- 3 months on the rhinology, laryngology, and sleep surgery service along with a PGY4 and PGY1 resident
- 1 month on the otology/neurotology service
- 3 months on the Pediatric Otolaryngology service with a PGY3 resident from UCLA
Additionally, in the fall of the PGY3 year, residents have protected research time that is designed to prepare them well for their research rotation in the PGY4 year. Residents interested in clinical or translational research may enroll in a course on clinical and translational research study design, during which they develop a research protocol suitable for a research grant application. Residents interested in basic research have an equal amount of protected research time.
PGY IV residents also spend three months on a research rotation. During this time, they are expected to conduct and complete a research project.