Resident Benefits and Salary
- Each resident is allowed 4 weeks of paid vacation throughout the year.
- Below is a table of resident salaries based on PGY level. These salaries are established periodically by the County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors and the Joint Council of Interns and Residents. In addition to the base salary, each resident is given a $4,000 housing bonus at the start of each academic year. Through the Committee of Interns and Residents, the housestaff union, residents are reimbursed up to $1,000 annually for education related expenses such as books or laptops. Similarly, for travel to conferences or research presentations, residents are reimbursed up to $1,000 annually.
- The present salary scale is as follows:
PHYSICIAN, POSTGRADUATE SALARIES (Oct 1, 2019 through Sept 30, 2020)
YEAR LEVEL MONTHLY SALARY YEARLY SALARY GY-1 $4,620.39 $55,444.66 GY-2 $5,018.56 $60,222.81 GY-3 $5,437.69 $65,252.25 GY-4 $5,859.71 $70,316.57 GY-5 $6,270.38 $75,244.51 GY-6 $6,695.23 $80,342.70 GY-7 $7,094.58 $85,134.90
- White coats
- White coats are provided from both Keck and LAC. The Keck white coat will have your name embroidered on the front.
- Meal stipend
- Each resident is given approximately $30/day, 7 days/week, which is divided between breakfast, lunch, and dinner and can be used at either LAC or Keck Hospital. Based on feedback, the amount is plenty for adequate nutrition throughout the day. While at other hospitals, residents are also provided with a meal stipend.
- Malpractice Insurance
- Malpractice insurance is provided without charge for all resident physicians during training.
- Residents are provided free parking at all rotation facilities.