- This event has passed.
Creative Writing Workshops for Faculty
January 10 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
In this class, faculty will explore the act of writing. Through in-class exercises, we will explore issues of craft—narrative, perspective, point of view, imagery and dialogue—and discuss how writing and reading can open up unexpected storylines, outcomes, possibilities, and develop a deeper understanding of ourselves, our colleagues and patients in a clinical context. No writing experience necessary.
Classes will take place monthly. Wednesdays from 7:30-8:45pm on Zoom:
- January 10th
- February 7th
- March 6th
- April 3rd
- To explore four writing forms—memoir, fiction and poetry—through weekly reading and writing exercises.
- To introduce the numerous ways of telling a story, both in clinical and creative contexts.
- To examine peers’ writing in an effort to think critically and thoughtfully as an editor.
- To explore the ways in which storytelling can allow us to imagine alternateoutcomes when working in clinical practice.
- To discuss how relevant literary concepts (such as metaphor, narrative, and point ofview) can help students reflect on their own actions and reactions in clinical practice.
Learner Outcomes – Students will be able to:
- Recognize writing’s usefulness in increasing depth of understanding and therapeutic connections with patients.
- Offer constructive and respectful feedback to their peers’ work.
- Develop and Hone their writing and revision skill by applying literary concepts totheir work.
- Execute the writing process, from inception of an idea to revised form.