Program Admission Information
Admission requirements include a minimum GPA of 3.0 and an undergraduate major in biological sciences, or at least 6 bioscience courses in the molecular, cellular, genetics and biochemistry topics.
Formal application via USC Office of Graduate Admission’s online portal is required.
- Completed online application.
- Statement of purpose (approximately 500 words): Tell us where you came from, where you are going to, and how enrolling in the Translational Biotechnology Program may help you reach your academic or career goals.
- Resume or CV: There is no specific format requirement for Resume or CV.
- Letters of recommendation (minimum three for MS, two for certificate): We accept letters from both academic and professional evaluators. At least two of the letters should address your bioscience aptitude. All letters must be on the letterhead of the organization or department.
- Transcripts from ALL previously attended post-secondary institutions regardless of whether a degree was obtained.
- Standardized test score (MS application only): A minimum score of 300 on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test is required. In lieu of GRE, DAT (minimum 18), MCAT (minimum 28 pre-2015 or 505 post-2015) or USMLE may be submitted. Applicants beneath these standardized test score requirements or have not yet taken the exam are asked to consult with program director for advisement.
- International students whose first language is not English are required to provide evidence of English Proficiency: TOEFL (iBT) 90, with no less than 20 on each section, or IELTS 6.5, with 6 or above on each band.
- Students with strong bioscience preparation but with lower language proficiency scores could consider applying to USC’s International Academy Pre-master’s programs.
- Applicants considered for admission may be interviewed (in person or via video conferencing) with program director and/or other faculty
Apply at Office of Graduate Admission starting September
Application deadline for Spring 2020:
- Master of Science in Translational Biotechnology: December 1, 2019
- Graduate Certificate in Translational Biotechnology: December 1, 2019
- International students requiring visa processing: November 1, 2019
Application deadline for Fall 2020:
- Master of Science in Translational Biotechnology: August 1, 2020
- Graduate Certificate in Translational Biotechnology: August 1, 2020
- International students requiring visa processing: June 15, 2020