V. Zelman Center of Distance & International Education, Learning and Science
The Department of Anesthesiology at the Keck School of Medicine of USC is building on a rich history of anesthesiology and critical care innovation by establishing its Vladimir Zelman, MD, PhD Center for Distance Education, Learning and Science. The Department’s foundation is based at the Keck Medical Center of University of Southern California (USC) and the Los Angeles General Medical Center where anesthetics were administered from 1878 onwards with no formal regulation until the Department was established in approximately 1917 with the first appointment of an Anesthesiologist in Charge in 1924.
The Department is home to Dr. Arthur Guedel (clinical stages of ether anesthesia), Dr. Harry Low (closed circuit anesthesia), Sim One (the first anesthesia simulator), and the Aerojet General Corporation (an early aerospace pioneer). The Los Angeles General Medical Center is legitimately the home of Critical Care Medicine. Many world-known clinical scientists in critical care worked here, such as Dr. William Shoemaker, Dr. Max Harry Weil. Dr. Philip Lumb, was previous Editor-in Chief for the Journal of Critical Care. The Department continues to innovate and train medical students, nurse anesthetists and mid-level, residents, and fellows of the highest caliber while serving the patients of Health Science Campus (HSC) of USC under the leadership of Dr. Holly Muir.
Our primary goal is to reach out to international medical students, residents, fellows, and physicians, providing them with evidence-based medicine discussions, lectures and mentorship, and join research projects.
The Center of Distance Learning provides lectures from and live discussions with USC physicians/educators at the following institutions:
- Novosibirsk State University (NSU), Russia
- Burdenko Institute of Neurosurgery, Russia
- Mechnikov North-Western State Medical University, Russia
- Skoltech – Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Moscow, Russia
- Ain Shams University, Cairo Egypt
- Astana Medical University, Kazakhstan
- Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
- Bogomolets National Medical University, Ukraine
- Erebouni Medical Center, Yerevan, Armenia
- Showa University, Tokyo, Japan
- University of Turin, Italy
- Education for Medical Students, Nurse anesthetists and mid-level providers, and Residents, Fellows, and Faculty
- Collaboration in Clinical Research and Science
- Case Discussions with Anesthesia Faculty
- Mentorship for Master’s Theses and Medical Student Research Projects
- Creation of International Panels
- Exchange of knowledge and experiences at the times of pandemics and other natural disasters
- Collaboration with mission projects
The USC KSOM Department of Anesthesiology Center for Distance Learning welcomes international partners to foster international collaboration and educational initiatives that further global health and provide a platform for medical diplomacy.
If you are interested, please contact us.
Eugenia Ayrian MD, FASA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Holly Muir, MD, Chair: Holly.Muir@med.usc.edu
Center for Distance Learning Faculty:
Holly Muir, MD – Chair of Department of Anesthesiology at USC – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/holly-ann-muir/
Vladimir Zelman, MD, PhD (email@example.com) – Founder of the Center – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/vladimir-zelman/
Eugenia Ayrian, MD, FASA – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/eugenia-ayrian/
Jack Berger, MD, PhD – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/jack-marshall-berger/
Justyne Decker, MD – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/justyne-decker/
Sherif Kandil, MD – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/sherif-h-kandil/
Phillip Lumb, MD, MCCM – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/philip-d-lumb/
Joseph Szokol, MD, JD, MBA, FASA – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/joseph-szokol/
Duraiyah Thangathurai, MD – https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-search/duraiyah-thangathurai/